The 21st Century and Beyond
There are a total of nineteen courtrooms affiliated with the Courthouse complex. They include Courtroom No. 1 in the 1850 original building, six courtrooms added in the 1950 and the 1965 East Wing additions, and seven in the Justice Complex. An additional courtroom is located at 213 Washington Street, three at 125 Washington Street, and the Appellate Court at 100 East Water Street complete the total of nineteen court facilities to meet the growing needs of the County.
The continued population growth, up to about 415,000 by 1988 continues to put pressure on the freeholder board to look for new avenues to house the increasing departments to service the County's needs.
The grounds include commemorative trees, flagpole, flowerbeds and war memorial plaques. The Cannon on the lawn in front of the Greek Revival section of the Courthouse was placed there in 1908 by the Toms River Camera Club. It is believed to have been one of the four cannons from the Toms River Blockhouse which was spiked into the Toms River by the British on March 24, 1782. The British had attacked and sacked the town that day leaving the entire village destroyed. The public drinking fountain near the front steps of the original Court House was donated in 1957 by the Toms River Kiwanis Club.